Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rare Footage From Racing's Glory Days

http://devour.com/video/vintage-race-car-crashes/

My father and my uncle used to race sportscars in SCCA events in the Michigan-Ohio-Indiana Tri-State Region during the late 50's and early 60's. They won 3 of the biggest annual SCCA Tri-State Races during their racing days. Their favorite race car was a Fiat-Abarth 750 Zagato "Double Bubble", a pretty successful car in it's day, and a highly sought after collectable today. Note, the roof "bubbles" were for added headroom. It was a small, tight car. If curious, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abarth

Yes, auto racing of all kinds was widely discussed constantly in my house while growing up. My brother and I remain sportscar fans to this day. In fact, Gary still has his little ol' 1976 TR-6 in his gargage under cover.... and drives it every spring & summer. His is bright yellow with a tan interior and solid wood dash. Very sharp! See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR6

On a personal note... My favorite sportcars are German, i.e. Porsche 911 & 930 Turbo, plus the BMW M5's (E-28, E-34 & E-39.) I've owned several of both, including one of the first Slantnose Porsche's in the USA. I've driven but don't care for the newer M5 E-60 V-10... it's too heavy and not nimble enough for my tastes. The high-revving & lighter in-line 6 cylinder M5 engines (E-28 & E34) are my fav's to drive. But the faster E-39 V-8's are okay too : )
 Racing regards,
--Hillman

No comments: